Monday, September 3, 2007

A book I read more than once

If any of you are into reading as I am I highly recommend "Crime and Punishment" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. C.S. Lewis once said that someone who is truly interested in gleaning what they can from literature will not just have read many books, but will have books that they have read many times.

I have read this book no less than three times, and each time I have taken something else from it. It has done much to shape my worldview as it pertains to what "justice" is.

Dostoyevsky knew that justice and more importantly injustice were. He was sent to Siberia for a number of years due to his refusal to toe the line on soviet politics in his writings, the result of which is this and other beautifully written treatises, that we all can learn from.

I highly recommend this and other books (such as "Anna Karenina" and "The Brothers Karamazov") by this author. You will be a better person for having read them.

1 comment:

Tia Lynn said...

I have Crime and Punishment sitting on my book shelf just begging to be read. The next free-time reading is going to that book! Good review!