Sunday, July 1, 2007

Inspiring

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

These words were written by Horatio Spafford in 1873, while he was crossing the Atlantic ocean by ship. He was on his way to retrieve his wife, who was in Wales at the time. Earlier, he and his wife and four daughters Annie, Maggie, Bessie and Tanetta had planned to go to Europe from the US on vacation. At the last minute, Horatio had to stay behind in Chicago on some business. On the way to Europe the boat that his wife and daughters were on was hit by a British ship and it sank. Only his wife suvived, all four daughters drowned within minutes. His wife Anna was saved by a passing ship and brought to Wales where she sent a telegram to her husband. "Saved alone. What shall I do". Horatio was on his way to get her, when the captain of the ship he was on informed him that they were passing over the very spot where all four of his daughters had drowned. It was then that he sat down and penned these words.

Now read them again:


When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.
Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.



1 comment:

Tia Lynn said...

That is a beautiful and sad story, but like you said: very inspiring.