Monday, June 25, 2007

The Finer Points of Murder

Original Story

Breaking news in Cuyahoga County Ohio. The body of Jessie Davis has been found, and her boyfriend Bobby Cutts has been charged with 2 counts of murder....wait a minute 2 counts? Yes, 2. It seems that Ms. Davis was pregnant with Mr. Cutts' child. My heart goes out to Jessie's family, especially her young son, who according to some accounts seems to have witnessed the murder. I cannot even contemplate the depravity of that situation.

What interests me about this is that Bobby Cutts has been charged with murder for not only Jessie, but her unborn fetus as well. That seems to me to be a remarkable double standard in a country where abortion is legal. Basically the law says that if Jessie had wanted to kill her unborn fetus then that's all well and good. But if anyone else kills it, it's murder. Fair is fair, either it's ok to kill a fetus or it's not, you can't have it both ways. If abortion is ok, then Bobby Cutts should be charged with one murder. If abortion is not ok, then he should be charged with two. I'm not saying whether I agree or disagree with it, but currently in America, abortion is legal, so according to the law, Mr. Cutts should be charged with only one murder.

1 comment:

Tia Lynn said...

It's good point, but I wonder in their state what the "cut off" line is, so to speak. Since, she was only 2 weeks away from giving birth, I don't know if legally should could have obtained an abortion because it would have been considered a partial birth abortion (since the "baby" as the ability to be viable outside the womb). I think under the ban of partial birth abortion, the only way for one to be allowed is if the life of the mother is in danger. Now if this poor women had been less than 3 months pregnant, would Cutts have been charged with 2 counts of murder? I don't know.

Whatever, the answer to that is, abortion is a horrendous abhorrent practice and I pray for the day, as a nation we repent of it.